You might use coconut oil in your kitchen for cooking or baking, but there are so many other uses for it - especially when it comes to your hair and skin. We're sharing our top 8 uses for coconut oil in your beauty routine.
I was at my hairdressers the other day and we were talking about our pregnancies and of course… hair! I mentioned how after being pregnant and breastfeeding for so long, my hair started to feel brittle and look dull. She explained that this was all very common and most moms go through it. She went on to tell me how she loved using coconut oil on her scalp and hair, and how it made a world of difference for her. She said I should give it a try, so I did!
Next time I went to the store I purchased a container and I couldn’t wait to get home and try it. I scooped some out with my fingers and applied it to my scalp and ran it through the length of my hair concentrating it more at my ends. I left it in for about an hour and then proceeded to wash my hair as usual. I noticed a difference right away. My scalp felt moisturized and my hair looked shinier. I couldn’t believe it, and after only once use! This led me to wonder what else (besides cooking) this remarkable oil could be used for.
8 Brilliant Uses for Coconut Oil in Your Beauty Routine
- Hair – Makes your scalp feel moisturized and hair healthy and shiny.
- Skin – A few great places to use this as a moisturizer are on your elbows, knees, cuticles, and feet. It works really well to hydrate those extra dry areas.
- Shaving cream – That’s right, you can use coconut oil to shave your legs! It will hydrate and protect your skin while getting them silky smooth.
- Sunburn relief – Looks like aloe has some competition! This helps relieve that burning feeling.
- Lip Balm – This will soften your lips while tasting good too.
- Scrub – You can mix coconut oil with sea salt to make a yummy smelling foot scrub.
- Frizz fighter – Rub a small amount on your finger tips and run them over the ends of your hair and on any flyaways.
- Hair mask – Use it in the shower after you wash your hair. After running the oil through your hair, leave it in for about 5 minutes before rinsing.
Do you use coconut oil for anything else?
If so, I would love to know!
Photo credits: babybamboostudio / Dollar Photo Club. Amazon links are affiliate links.
Linda Mannstry says
You have mentioned a few ideas I never knew. I love using coconut oil. Thank you so much for sharing. I will give these ideas a try
Linda Manns says
You have mentioned a few ideas I never knew. I love using coconut oil. Thank you so much for sharing. I will give these ideas a try. Thank you so much for sharing
Amber Ludwig says
Coconut oil is so amazing!! I love using it in my hair for flyaways!! Plus it naturally smells fabulous! Ive heard its a great teeth whitener too!
Lauralee Hensley says
When I used Coconut Oil to swish for a few minutes after brushing my teeth, my teeth were whiter. I need to get back to doing this extra step.
Laura Bowman says
I love cooking with coconut oil but I really need to try all the other uses!! These sound great 🙂 Thanks so much for sharing. I've also been pregnant and/or breastfeeding for a couple years and I'm sure my hair could use some assistance 🙂
Lauryn R says
I have heard so many wonderful things about coconut oil! I have only used it in cooking so far, but I can't wait to try it on my hair! 🙂
Dotty J Boucher says
I am so loving your list, I already use this oil for so many other reason besides eating it .. I love in my hair, my scalp has never looked so good..
You can also use coconut oil as a swish to whiten your teeth and use it on your face to remove makeup- even waterproof mascara!
Gloria Patterson says
I buy in big jars and fill molds and freeze. I place them in ziplock bags and use for a lot of different things. The molds are a tablespoon