Before having kids, I never considered what kinds of chemicals were used during mattress-making. I assumed that we were sleeping on safe materials, but soon learned that's not actually the case. When searching for a new mattress, especially for kids, it's so important to consider an organic mattress. I've partnered with MyGreenMattress to share their Pure Echo twin mattress with you, and why you should consider switching to organic.
Earlier this year, we made the switch to an organic king mattress and I truly could not be happier. We have all gotten considerably better sleep since we made the change, and I feel confident knowing our co-sleeping kids aren't exposed to the chemicals from a conventional mattress. Our daughter is moving into her own bedroom now, and there was no way I'd go back to anything besides organic when it came to mattresses.
Why Buy an Organic Mattress?
- Organic mattresses do not contain the many chemicals found in conventional mattresses.
- Conventional mattresses contain fire retardant that are harmful to the liver, thyroid, and nervous system. (In case you're thinking "but mattresses SHOULD be fire retardant, don't worry. I'll cover how MyGreenMattress.com still achieves that fire safety rating without using harmful chemicals).
- Organic mattresses can help prevent and lessen the symptoms of allergies. They're chemical-free, pesticide-free, and hypoallergenic.
- You won't experience chemical off-gassing with an organic mattress.
- All-natural mattresses (made with materials like wool, organic cotton, and natural latex) help regulate body temperature so you don't get too hot or cold at night.
- Buying organic helps reduce your carbon footprint, since the materials come straight from the earth and are biodegradable.
Choosing Our Organic Mattress
So why did we choose MyGreenMattress? First off, their story really spoke to me. They had a daughter born with eczema and allergies and wanted to find a way to relieve her symptoms. Her father and MyGreenMattress founder, Tim Masters, started producing organic mattresses to alleviate her symptoms. Our son has always been susceptible to respiratory illnesses, and while he hasn't experienced eczema, we have had issues with some allergies. In the winter, he was always catching colds with bad coughs that would last weeks. Since we made the switch to MyGreenMattress, he's been sleeping better and when he does catch colds those coughs don't seem to last so long.
Since we've been a co-sleeping family, the king-sized bed was the only mattress we needed. But now that our daughter is moving into her own room, we built her a loft bed and wanted to put a twin mattress in it. We turned right back to MyGreenMattress because we had such a great experience with them the first time. This time, we opted for their Pure Echo Twin Mattress for a couple reasons.
Pure Echo Twin Organic Mattress
As a medium-firm mattress, it's the perfect option for kids with a growing spine. It provides the necessary lumbar support without being so soft that they sink in dangerously. It's made with organic wool and organic cotton so I can rest easy knowing she's not being exposed to a variety of chemicals. This is especially important for mattresses because we spend so much of our lives sleeping!
The Pure Echo Mattress has a Oeko-Tex certified natural wool quilted cover which is naturally fire retardant. It passes flame testing without using any of those harsh chemicals I mentioned above. You can choose to purchase this mattress as one-sided or two-sided which can increase its lifespan as well.
Our daughter is absolutely loving her new mattress in her new room. She sleeps soundly on it, and I sleep soundly because I know she's safe while she sleeps. I recommend MyGreenMattress to everyone I know who is searching for a mattress!
Buy it: You can purchase a Pure Echo Mattress from MyGreenMattress.com. Save $100 off ANY twin mattress or larger with the code GREEN100!
Don't miss my post about MyGreenMattress.com's King-Sized Natural Escape Mattress!
Disclaimer: I received this mattress at no cost to facilitate an honest review. As always, all opinions are my own.