Recently we made a wood platform bed for our master bedroom and we knew right away that it needed a headboard. I wanted to share how to make a wooden headboard with you so you can build your own!
This headboard was SO easy to make and I love how it looks. We wanted a rustic, farmhouse style look (I have no shame in the trendiness, ha!) and I think this headboard really pulls our whole room together. Since we already had stain and polyurethane, we spent less than $50 on the supplies!
How to Make a Wooden Headboard
We started off by purchasing wood, screws, wood putty, and foam brushes. I used this amazing headboard as my starting point, though we deviated a bit from those plans. The first thing we (okay, my husband) did was cut the side boards to 44" tall. We could have gone taller, but since we have a platform bed that's so low to the ground, 44" is perfect. Then my husband cut the 1x6s, 1x4s, and 1x2s to various lengths adding up to 82", because that's how wide our bed frame is.
After setting everything up, my husband sanded all of the boards which is probably what took the longest. Then it was time to stain! I wanted a variety of colors, so some pieces I stained and let sit and some I stained and wiped immediately. I also brushed water on some to get an even lighter effect. You kind of have to just play around with this and go row by row to get a variety of shades of the stain.
After the stain has dried, it's time to start assembling the headboard! Make sure you grab a square and some clamps for this part-you'll need them.
My husband started with the left side and worked his way to the right. He clamped the boards and then screwed piece by piece together.
I really enjoyed watching it come together. This is crazy, but at almost 30 years old I've never had a bed with a headboard. The ones I've seen (and liked) in stores have been crazy expensive for a room that barely anyone sees. For the low cost and ease of making this project, it's definitely worth the outcome!
After the whole thing was together, it was time for polyurethane. I did three coats of polyurethane, sanding between each one. My kids are hard on things so I wanted to make sure it had a great finish. To secure all of the small pieces of the headboard, my husband used scrap 1x2s and 1x4s as supports. It may not be pretty, but it's heavy duty!
Then we attached the headboard to our bed frame. We did not attach it to the wall though some people choose to go that route. I feel like ours is sturdy enough screwed into the frame itself.
Here's the finished product! I honestly couldn't love it more. I'm a little surprised with how seamlessly it came together and how well it works in our room.
I'm so thankful for my handy husband and his ability to bring my crazy ideas to life! And now we've got a bunch more DIY plans in our heads (or at least in mine, ha!). For the headboard, here is a full, printable list of supplies and instructions.
I'd love to hear what you think of this headboard!
Let me know in the comments!