I bet the majority of you are putting up that tree this weekend! Making new ornaments every year is a fun tradition that you can start any year, and I'm excited to show you this idea of taking a clear glass ornament and making it into a Wedding Capsule! This was really fun for us to do, especially since we just celebrated our wedding anniversary last week! Weddings and those associated memories are always lovely to revisit around the holidays, and here is a super easy and meaningful way to capture those items that memorialize all those sentimental feelings.
Start with your basic clear glass or plastic ornament. I found a handful of these in two different sizes at Walmart for $.98 each. Depending on the size of the hole at the top and the size of your objects, one ornament's dimensions will probably make more sense over the other for this particular project.
Ideas of things to fill it with:
- Wedding day jewelry - I included my pearl necklace and the fake engagement ring that I wore for a few weeks while the real thing was in the shop. It still holds memories and I love remembering when I wore it on my finger, but this way, I don't have to seal up my real ring for a month. Plus, I wouldn't want my real diamond anywhere but on my finger!
- Strips of sheet music from your wedding song - I simply copied out a page from a songbook and cut it into strips, curled it by hand, and dropped it inside
- Ticket stub from our Open House
- Rehearsal dinner itinerary
- Groom's cufflinks
- Fabric swatches from the wedding dress or groom's suit - I'd only recommend this if you had custom work done and you have extra fabric on hand! Don't go cutting up your wedding dress for this, but if you want some ideas on some really sentimental ways to use your dress after the big day, come see what I did with mine!
- Small objects from the tables at your reception - flower petals, place cards, swatches of the tablecloth, small candles, etc.
- Wedding day makeup or accessories - you can include anything you remember using or wearing, and even claim them back when the tree comes down. You don't have to seal these up forever.
- Small picture from wedding day
Wouldn't putting these together be a fun activity for newlyweds? What a fun way to spend an afternoon for a couple's first married Christmas together!
We have a few more clear glass ornament ideas in the works, so go out and get a few of these ornaments to fill and follow along! We'd love to hear about your ideas and see how your own ornaments turn out!